Monday, July 4, 2011

Recommend Monday and Happy Birthday, America!

Good Monday Everyone!

Hope you had a fabulous week and weekend. Summer is such a joyous time for me. It brings back so many great memories of hot sultry days, lying in the shade, drinking SWEET iced tea and reading a wonderful book. During an interview last week, I was asked why so many romance writers seemed to be southern or have southern roots. My answer was the heat. Hot, sultry and slow moving, the atmosphere is thick with promise and anticipation. Lovely fragrances wafting through the air delights the senses and entice and lure you to think of delicious, bone-melting pleasure. LOL I think I'm in the mood to read a romance today!

Last week was so much fun! RWA and NYC just seem to go together. Being in the middle of Times Square and experiencing the atmosphere of that place was marvelous. Everything about that city fascinates me. I posted a few photos on Facebook, so come on over and take a look. I'll try to add a few more throughout the week.

The conference itself was wonderful too. I am always amazed at how very smoothly things run. I know many people put hundreds if not thousands of hours of work into making that happen. I can't say enough good things about the RWA staff and the hundreds of volunteers.

I arrived in NYC earlier than most. Since my page proofs for SWEET REVENGE were due, I thought having those extra days by myself would be perfect for finishing them up. And it was, however, I will admit, as much as I loved this book--and I do LOVE this book--I wanted to go out and play in the city. I limited myself to a once a day walk through Times Square. I turned in the finished page proofs on Wednesday. Yay! After that, it was time to enjoy the conference and being in the midst of the publishing world. I had lunch with my agent, got to visit the Random House offices and met with some wonderful editors. I also attended some great workshops and went to several signings. The literacy signing was as wild and crazy as ever and I had the chance to meet some lovely people there, including Taryn!

All in all, it was a wonderfully successful week but I admit, I am so glad to be home. There's lots to do between now and September 6 and I can't wait to get started. Before I forget (Just kidding, because it's too good to forget) my agent read SWEET REWARD and LOVED it! She said this one was in the running for her favorite LCR book and that, out of all my heroes, Jared might well be her favorite. Yay!!!! I admit, the book turned out even better than I had hoped but to hear her say those words was just magical. My editor has been on vacation but when she returns she'll read it and fingers crossed, she'll feel the same way.

Oh, and SWEET JUSTICE got a fabulous review from Publishers Weekly. Yay!!!!!!!Here's the link if you'd like to read it:

Can you believe it's only 63 days from the release of SWEET JUSTICE? Seems like it's been forever, doesn't it? I can't wait for you to read it, along with SWEET REVENGE and SWEET REWARD. I honestly believe these are the best books I've ever written. I hope you'll love them too!

As you know, I always return from conferences with lots and lots of books. This was no exception. Some are signed, some aren't, but they all look fabulous. And you know I want to give them to you! Stay tuned for those opportunities!

I haven't read anything new in weeks but I plan to make up for that soon. And I need your help. If you had but one romance book to tell me to read immediately, what would it be?

Can't wait to hear what you've been up to, what you've read and want others to read too and, oh, what you're doing for the 4th of July?

As for me, I'm spending the day with my family, eating barbeque and feeling incredibly blessed and thankful to live in this great nation.

Happy Monday and 4th of July everyone!


23 comments:

Jackie P said...

Be back to post. I am trying to decide on the best book to suggest. So glad your agent like the book. She has great taste!

And I am so glad you had fun at RWA!

Anonymous said...

Whether you have a daughter or not, and no matter what her age, this is a good read: How I Planned Your Wedding. A fun non-fiction written by Susan Wiggs and her daughter. She also wrote The Goodbye Quilt, about a daughter going off to college. As I have two kids leaving for college soon, it was a fun read.

Also, I recommend Now You See Her and Tick Tock by james Patterson....two of his newest books. Both are fast read and ones you can't put down!

LDent

Kara C said...

Hey Christy! I'm so glad you had a great time in NYC. And it doesn't surprise me a bit that you managed to get some work in as well!
I stayed up late last night reading Jami Alden's Beg for Mercy. Everyone who likes RS should read this book! I also read a few Marie Force books as well - True North, The Fall, and Ready for Love.
I was excited to see Jodi Thomas's Welcome to Harmony won an award at RWA. I love that book! Another highly recommended book.
Since I took a bit of vacation last week, I downloaded
several books on my kindle. Now, to find the time to read them!
And of course your agent loved the book! No surprise here. Waiting impatiently for my turn. :)

Mary G said...

Happy 4th everyone.

Christy - 63 days better fly fast LOL. Glad you enjoyed NY.

I only had time to read Black Ties & Lullabies. Love smart mouth heroines. Lots of LOL/sticky note moments.

oklanannie said...

Happy 4th of July everyone! It's hotter than a firecracker here so we'll be enjoying playing in the water, grilling and "picnic-ing," along with watching fireworks over the river later tonight.

Christy, your trip to RWA and New York City sounded fabulous and the pics I've seen so far are just wonderful. Can't wait to hear more about it. Looks like my man, Jared, is going to be a popular guy! It's going to be SWEET getting three new LCR books in the coming months!! Can't wait!!

If I had to suggest only one book this week, it would be Harlan Coben's "No Second Chance." Truly exceptional conversational dialogue, amazing characters and a thriller that completely kept me in the dark until the very last moments. I absolutely never saw it coming!!! I'm on a Harlan Coben binge this summer and have read all his stand alones and am now beginning his "Myron Bolitar" series.

Of course, I haven't given up on romantic suspense either and I'm reading fast and furious to keep up with the new releases. A favorite new author and book this summer is Jami Alden's "Beg for Mercy" -- I literally couldn't put it down until I finished it. Now I am anxious for the next one!!

Cheers to everyone and enjoy your holiday celebrations!

Alison said...

Happy Fourth of July Everyone!

Christy so glad you had fun at RWA and in NYC! Yea! Only 63 more days!!

We don't have any big plans for our 4th. The hubby and I are still trying to kick a cold we've picked up, so I think we'll stay close to home watch the hot dog eating contest on ESPN and grill some hotdogs of our own later.

I'm still on my Karen Rose kick. In the last couple weeks I've read Count to Ten,Die For Me,Scream for Me, and Kill for Me and loved them all. They really get me hooked and I can't put them down!

Have a good week everyone!

Luci said...

Hey Christy so glad NYC was so successful and fun for you!

63 days to go - YAY!!!

Super busy these couple of weeks and I am just checking and and out today so don't have time to relate all - would just exhaust you - but in a good way :).

I am reading the Wedding series by Nora Roberts - just started Savour the Moment. Till now am enjoying the books a lot. Hadn't read a NR book in ages as after a time they got to sound all the same but after all this time I am really enjoying these.

Ronlyn said...

Happy 4th everyone!!
I'm so glad you had fun at RWA Christy. I haven't been to NYC in years, I'd love to go again.
No real recs from me this week, I seem to have stumbled onto several "eh" books lately. :-P

Hope said...

Happy 4th of July everyone. So glad you had a wonderful time in NYC Christy, it is a place I have always wanted to go. I actually have a book of places that I write down that I must see or go to or eat at when I actually do get to go.

Last week was a good book week for me. I read a new-to-me author, Karen Rose. You Belong to Me was a book that was recommended here and I am soooo glad I finally listened. I loved this book. Heavy on the suspense, but the romance was there and beautifully written.

I also finished Dee Davis' novella Daring, which is Lara's story. I liked the book, just wish it wasn't so short. I liked getting a glimpse of the A-Tac crew as well, can't wait for the new book.

I finished Kate Angell's Squeeze Play and Curveball. Alison sent these to me, and they are great. A baseball series that is fun and spicy and the characters are lively.

Have a great week everyone.

KayB said...

Morning Christy,
Glad to hear you had a blast in NYC sounds like you had alot of fun.
I've been downloading a lot of free books on my Kindle and been reading, Graveyard Games by Sheri Leigh. It has kept me reading past bedtime, booklite is wearing out..LOL Also reading The Thirteenth Gift by Charlene Costanzo which is fun.
Love reading 2 books at the same time it keeps me sane and helps me be pain free
Happy 4th and Hugs to ya

krisgils33 said...

Happy 4th!
I'm reading Chasin' Eight by Lorelei James, the newest installment in the Rough Riders.

I'm in Orlando and tonight is the final competition and awards for Casey. It's a long shot as there are so many amazing little girls dancing this week, but I'm hoping!! She is already beyond exhausted (but at least everyone else is in the same boat!!).


Hope everyone has a great day off!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Jackie! Thanks! Looking forward to your recommendation. LOL on the great taste. I'll have to tell her that!

Christy Reece said...

Oh Laura, that does sound good. Will have to add that to my list. And I haven't read James Patterson in years. I need to read those two. Love books that I can't put down!

Christy Reece said...

Kara, welcome back from vacation! Beg for Mercy is at the top of my tbr pile. Can't wait to get started on it. Also, I'm way behind on Marie Force's books. Looking forward to them too. And I haven't read Jodi Thomas in forever. Will add Welcome to Harmony to my list.

Glad you're getting impatient for your turn to read the SWEET books. Not long now! (:

Christy Reece said...

Hey Mary! 62 days now! See how fast it flies? (:

I love that you put sticky notes in your books to highlight certain paragraphs and scenes. I just think that's the coolest thing.

Christy Reece said...

Hey Anne! Yes, NYC was truly wonderful. And considering I don't normally like crowded places, that's saying a lot.

I do think you're going to love Jared. Not to say that Seth and Dylan won't be loved too. All three of these guys are the kind that can melt hearts and send shivers at the same time. My favorite kind of hero!

I need to read Harlan Coben. I think I have one of his books--The Innocent. Have you read it?

So glad you enjoyed Jami's Beg for Mercy. When I told her that so many of you read and loved it, she was thrilled.

Hope you had a great celebration yesterday!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Allison, hope you and hubby are feeling 100% soon. I hate summer colds!

Love, love, love Karen Rose's books! All time favorite would have to be I'm Watching You (adore Abe!)...close second is Count to Ten. However, they're all wonderful.

Christy Reece said...

Hey Luci! Wow, sounds like you've been very busy but glad that it's in a good way!

I've only read one of that series but I really enjoyed it. I think it was Savor the Moment. I love NR's characters!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Ronlyn! Yes, NYC was everything I remembered about it and so much more. I'm hoping to go again next year, if the budget will allow.

I hate those 'eh' phases. Hope you find a book that makes you go 'wow' real soon!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Hope! What a great idea to keep a book of places you want to visit and restaurants and areas to visit. Then, when you go, you'll be prepared.

So glad you enjoyed You Belong to Me. Be sure to read Karen Rose's back list too. She is an amazing talent and I can't say enough good things about her books!

Those Kate Angell books sound great. Will have to look for them!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Kay! Reading can definitely take your mind off of so many things. I'm so glad it can give you relief from your pain. (((((hugs)))))

Christy Reece said...

Hi Kris! Wow, I have definitely got to get Lorelei James' books. So many of you have recommended them!

Good luck to Casey! Hope you can both get some much needed rest when the competition ends.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy! I have spent my summer reading everything by Lori Foster I can get my hands on. If I had to pick one it would have to be Back in Black. Give it a try! Glad NYC went well, I wish i could've been there with you and my other favorite authors.!