Tuesday, July 26, 2011

SECOND CHANCE Discussion


Continuing our countdown to the release of SWEET JUSTICE, welcome to our discussion of SECOND CHANCE! Hope you’ll grab your favorite beverage and a snack, then settle back as we chat about Cole Mathison and Keeley Fairchild, along with some evil and just downright wicked people of Fairview, South Carolina. Beware: plot points will be discussed and spoilers will be revealed!

SECOND CHANCE holds a special place in my heart for a lot of different reasons. For one, it features my most tortured hero. If anyone ever earned an HEA, it’s Cole Mathison. I received more emails about Cole than any other LCR character. I wasn’t the only one who wanted to see him get a SECOND CHANCE at happiness. Cole is good guy who suffered and lost so much. Giving him his own book was a must!

Cole’s horrific experience in RUN TO ME was painful to write and to read. I didn't know until the middle of writing the book who that tortured man was...I thought, just like Shea and the rest of the world, that Cole was dead. When I realized who he was, I was determined to get him rescued but still had no idea if he would have his own book. Then when Shea is going through her things in that storage shed and comes across the newspaper article about Cole and his family, I hurt for him all the more. And that's when I knew I had to not only tell his story, I had to give him back everything he had lost.

And then came Keeley Fairchild--one of the more challenging female characters I’ve written. She wasn’t an LCR operative, she was a mom. She was also a bit naïve and not very sophisticated. I enjoy writing strong women and I thought she might be more difficult to write. Fortunately, Keeley stepped up. Her strengths weren't in physical prowess or street smarts. She wasn't a woman of the world. What I found was a woman with unique strengths--a woman who loved fiercely and loyally. Her love and devotion for her daughters was all-consuming and she was determined to get them back. She worked tirelessly to make that happen.

Cole’s need to help her find her children gave them a common bond. Though Keeley didn’t know the truth behind his need, it created a partnership that led to love.

Another difficulty I had with writing SECOND CHANCE were the children. I know many talented authors are able to write books where children are harmed and it works fine for them. I can’t do that. I can write vaguely of certain aspects of abuse, but I can’t hurt a five year old child, even in words. That became a challenge on its own. Thankfully, having them kidnapped and sold to families fit perfectly for the storyline. The children were never meant to be hurt—their mother was the real target.

Many people say they knew who the real villain was from the beginning. Some guessed but weren’t sure and then some had no idea. Honestly, I didn’t know until the middle of the book. My goodness, there were so many choices. The evil mother-in-law, the too good best friend or the secretive sister-in-law. Or it could have been some surprise unknown villain from the town. And wasn’t Wesley Tuttle deliciously slimy? I must say that his demise caused me no problem to write at all.

One of the many things I loved about SECOND CHANCE was the opportunity to revisit characters from previous LCR books. Eden and Jordan, Shea and Ethan and, of course, Noah. I loved catching up with them and finding out what they’d been doing. And I enjoyed introducing a new character--FBI agent Honor Stone. She intrigued me from the beginning and I just knew she had a story to tell. Especially when she mentioned to Cole that she’d had a bad break-up. And man, did she ever! (A little plug for SWEET JUSTICE. Can’t wait for you to read her story!)

Another challenge I had with SECOND CHANCE was the romance. I love reading and writing sensual love stories. However, having this sensual love story happen while Keeley’s children were missing was somewhat difficult to pull off. Thankfully, (although I know some disagreed) I think the way the story played out very well for both characters. If they had stopped searching for the children just to play around with each other, that would have been one thing. But making love and finding comfort in physical intimacy is a very human and natural thing. And it helped create a bond between them. When Keeley learned the truth, a level of extreme trust had already been established. Go back and read the hotel love scene with the mirror. Now that takes trust!

One of the more delightful aspects of this book for me was the confrontation between Cole and Elizabeth Fairchild. What fun I had with that scene! At last, someone was telling the woman the truth and not kowtowing to her because of her wealth and influence. I don't know how many times I laughed as I wrote that scene!

So, what about you? Do you have a favorite scene, line or moment in SECOND CHANCE? What aspects of the story do you want to talk about? Was there something you would have liked to have happen that didn't? Any questions for Cole, Keeley or any of the other characters? (I'll even ask Wesley, if you have something for him.)

I’ll come back in a few hours and post a SECOND CHANCE trivia game. Winner will receive a signed copy of the 2010 trilogy.

And one blog commenter will receive a signed copy of SECOND CHANCE and a $25 Amazon card.

Now, let’s chat!

30 comments:

ShellyE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ShellyE said...

That was my delete - found a glaring typo and couldn't figure out how to fix it!!

Christy - this is my favorite of all your books -- the thing I liked best was ALL of it!! I agree that Cole deserved his HEA!! I felt so bad for him thru the whole story, and I was glad he was able to be with Keely. Can't wait until your new book comes out next month!! I have been needing a new LCR fix!!

Tara said...

Christy,

Crazy busy at work today but will try to get back to say more, but this book is my absolute favorite of the series for so many reasons I want to come back and chat about here.

I can't wait to see what everyone else has to say about this book, I'll try to be back later to chat more.

Kara C said...

Can I just say - COLE! I agree with Shelly. This is such a great book. So emotional! I KNOW I have some favorite lines from this book. I'll look through my book (to be sure I get them right) and come back in a bit.
Deliciously slimy. Great description of Tuttle, Christy.

Christy Reece said...

Hey Shelly, this was a favorite of many. My mom's and my aunt's favorite too. I have to admit that I was surprised at how many people loved this book. LOL I think my surprise had a lot to do with my difficulty of writing it.

I'm so glad you loved it though! And LCR fix not far away now!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Tara, so glad SECOND CHANCE was your favorite. I love finding out which LCR book is a reader's favorite.

Look forward to chatting more later!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Kara! LOL Yes, Cole! Can't wait to see what some of your favorite lines were.

I thought I had an office copy of the book here and was going to post my favorite lines, but apparently I've given away all my copies. Will 'flip' through my Kindle and see what I can find.

Chat later!

Angela said...

When I found out that Cole's story was going to be told, I couldn't wait for the book. SECOND CHANCE was a great book to read; I couldn't put it down.

As for the villain of the story, I had my suspicions with the best friend of Keeley, but it always could have been the mother-in-law. I kept guessing until the end of the book. All I can say is "WOW!" She is true wicked person.

So emotional for both Cole and Keeley and glad that they had found such happiness.

With Hope's story coming soon in September, I can't wait to buy the book. Thanks Christy for your great stories!

Crystal said...

Shelly hit the nail on the head! What I liked best was....ALL OF IT!! Couldn't have said it better myself!

I was so intrigued by Cole as soon as we learned that Shea had married Ethan's best friend Cole. I admit that I hoped and prayed that we would find out that Cole survived the blast, but oh the things he suffered in order to survive!

I have to run some errands, but will be back and post my favorite parts of the book during the much anticipated....NAP TIME!!

Kelli Jo said...

I don't necessarily have any questions - I just want to say that I loved not only this book, but the whole trilogy and the whole series!

krisgils33 said...

i'm so glad Cole got his HEA. i know what you mean about putting the kids in abusive situations, i have a really hard time reading that as well. but, you did a great job as always!!!

Chrisbails said...

You are a new author for me and would love to check out your books. please consider me for the giveaway would love to win.
christinebails@yahoo.com

Christy Reece said...

Hey Angela, I'm happy you enjoyed SECOND CHANCE! LOL Glad I surprised you a little with the villain. She was indeed evil, but man, Fairview definitely had more than their share of evil people, didn't they?

And thanks so much! So glad you're looking forward to SWEET JUSTICE!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Crystal, thank you! Very happy you loved Cole and Keeley's book.

LOL I remember I learned that Cole was killed in RETURN TO ME (remember when Jordan tells Noah?) and I thought, who the heck is Cole? (:

Look forward to seeing what your favorite lines/scenes were! Hope naptime is peaceful. (:

Christy Reece said...

Hey Kelli Jo! Thanks so much. I love knowing that you enjoyed this book, the trilogy and the entire series! I so appreciate you telling me!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Kris, thanks so much. The scene at the beginning when the girls are taken was very difficult to write. Hearing one of them scream "Mommy!" broke my heart. I knew it would all turn out all right, but still...LOL I'm such a sap.

Christy Reece said...

Hi Chris, I use Random.org to select winners, so fingers crossed your number comes up. If you get a chance to try my books, hope you enjoy them.

ShellyE said...

Chris - you won't be sorry you read Christy's books - they are all great!!

Alison said...

Hi All!

I loved this book! I got lucky...I discovered the LCR books right when Second Chance came out so I didn't have to wait to see Cole's HEA!

So many great things about this book! I loved Cole told Elizabeth off...it was about time someone put her in her place!

It was so cute when Cole and Jordan cooked in Keely's aprons.

I also loved that Keely took the girls with her to Cole's house. Not that he wanted to, but who could resist those cuties!

Anyway...I better get back to work. I can't wait to read some fav quotes!

Elke said...

I loved to read Coles story, because when I learned he was held captive by that slimy bastard Rosemount and so heartbreakingly tortured I hoped that he would come around and get his HEA.

There is one question I always wanted to ask, Christy. How did Cole get out of that warehouse when it blew up. Because when we heard about that incident I thought he went in and then it immidiatly exploded. Was it a trap set by Rosemount to capture one of the LCR operatives or was it by chance that he was captured ?

I liked that we saw more of Eden and Jordan as well as Shea and Ethan.

One of my favourite scenes is when Cole confronted Elisabeth Fairchild and she went from delighted about his visit to disgusted about the things he told her - that was fun to read.

Oh and one of my fav. lines is Coles "I don´t fuck out of guilt " when Keeley discovers the truth about him.

Christy I am really looking forward to the SWEET books and I hope that you plan to discuss them as well because it is always interesting to get glimpses in the writing process and how the story develops.
( b.t.w.I loved the excerpt of sweet revenge - glad it are only 40 or so days to wait)

Jane said...

I always tear up when I get to the scene where Hannah makes her birthday wish about wanting Hailey to come home.

ShellyE said...

Elke - I am laughing out loud at your comments about Rosemount!!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Alison, I'm so glad you found my books. Did you read SECOND CHANCE before you read the first trilogy? I'm always mindful that people might pick up one of my books and feel as though they've lost something by not starting at the beginning of the series. I think I worried about that with SECOND CHANCE more than with any of the others. I just wondered if anyone who read this book first felt as though they were missing information.

LOL I loved the guys wearing aprons too. And when Keeley showed up with the girls at the end, I could just imagine how cute they were.

I know some people thought the ending was too syrupy, but after what Cole and Keeley went through, I wanted them to have a SWEET ending. (:

Alison said...

Christy, I read NO CHANCE, then I went back and read the first trilogy. I prefer to read in order, so then I'm in the know about all the characters!

The ending made perfect sense to me after all they went through to get the girls back...no way would Keely leave them behind!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Elke! LOL Yes, Rosemount was a slimy bastard, wasn't he?

It's been a while since I read RUN TO ME, but I think the moment Cole stepped into the building, Rosemount was ready for him and took him immediately.

Oh yes, that was such fun to watch Elizabeth who thought so well of herself and was convinced that Cole felt the same only to find out exactly what he thought of her.

I do plan to discuss the SWEET books, but I'll probably do that through a Yahoo email loop so there won't be spoilers. Will let you know so we can get you signed up!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Jane, that was a teary moment, wasn't it? And I loved that Cole surprised everyone and gave her a little pink bicycle. I'll bet Cole is an awesome dad! (:

oklanannie said...

I loved SECOND CHANCE! If anyone ever deserved a second chance or even a third one or more, it definitely was Cole Mathison! From the moment I discovered it was him standing in the corner observing unknowingly who Shea really was as Slimeball Rosemount did his creepola "things" to her, Cole was that wounded person you just pray will be healed and find happiness never dreamed of before. And I think Keeley, even though not as strong as some of our female heroines, was in some ways a mountain.

Cole's entire story was for me the most emotionally draining of all the LCR books to date. I think you did an excellent job, Christy, on presenting his losses, struggles, and suffering. By the way, great HEAs for me must always be mushy and SWEET.

Rosemount is certainly one of the creepiest psycho villains I've ever read. He totally creeped me out and I "enjoyed" every single second of it!!!!

There are too many special moments in SECOND CHANCE for me to name as favorites . . . unless you want me to quote the book. No? Didn't think so!

Hooray for SWEET releases coming our way!

Christy Reece said...

Hey Anne! I'm so glad you enjoyed Cole's HEA. And I agree, Keeley was the perfect woman for him.

LOL It was emotionally draining to write too. And I'm glad you liked the mushy ending. Mushy endings always make me smile.

Rosemount was so much fun to write. I never knew what he was going to say or do. And I think he got his just deserts when his creation turned on him.

LOL No, don't quote the entire book but I am happy that you liked it that much.

Crystal said...

I am so sorry I didn't make it back yesterday... Sadly there was no nap time! :( Love everyone comments though!

Christy Reece said...

Thanks everyone for yesterday's chat! Such fun to remember Cole and Keeley and all those other fun characters from SECOND CHANCE.

Congrats to Jane for winning the $25 Amazon gift card and a signed copy of SECOND CHANCE. Jane, email your mailing address to christy@christyreece.com.

Have a great Wednesday, all!